Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress

Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress is a picture book written by Christine Baldacchino and illustrated Isabelle Malenfant. The theme of the book is acceptance and friendship. In the book, Morris Micklewhite is a boy who enjoys going to school and doing fun activities such as drawing and singing, but he really loves dressing up in a tangerine dress. However, Morris’ classmates say that dresses are only for girls and constantly taunt and exclude him from everything they’re doing. One day after being teased at school, he stays home and dreams a dream of space, and inspired by that dream, he comes back to school and builds his own spaceship. He has lots of fun and even gets some of his classmates to play with him, and in the end, they accept Morris for who he is, even if he’s wearing a dress. The message in general is to accept people for who they are and respect their opinions and choices. Just because Morris liked the dress didn’t make him any less or more than his classmates. Society may tell us that girls are supposed to wear dresses and boys aren’t and stereotype many things, but in the end it really doesn’t matter. I personally really enjoyed this book, it had a strong message and definitely made me think a little more than the other picture books I’ve read. I enjoyed the illustrations and how the author conveyed the message/theme in a special story. Overall, I enjoyed this book, and would definitely recommend it to any of my younger friends.